This Flavorful Kale Salad is loaded with flavor and nutrients. Some people do not like kale because it can be a bit rough on the palate and has a slightly bitter taste, but lemon can bring out the flavor by softening texture and bitterness. Garlic pairs well with lemon and adds a pinch of spiciness, while the crispy chickpeas add another layer of texture. If you think that salads are boring, this one will change your mind!
Flavorful Kale Salad with Chickpeas
- 10 ounces kale
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Black pepper
- Kale: powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory that may help lower the risk of chronic disease.
- Chickpeas: high in protein for improved digestion and weight management.
- Garlic: contains allicin, which has antimicrobial powers, regulates blood pressure, and lowers bad cholesterol.
- Lemon: contains vitamin C, which can help promote hydration and support digestion.
- Cumin: rich in iron, cumin helps support growth and digestion and may inhibit inflammation.
- Turmeric: contains curcumin, which has anti-inflammatory properties and may lower the risk of heart disease.
- Extra virgin olive oil: rich in monounsaturated fats, extra virgin olive oil contains antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Apple cider vinegar: promotes weight loss and may reduce bad cholesterol and blood sugar levels.
- Honey: rich in antioxidants, which help lower blood pressure.
- Black pepper: helps improve digestion and has antibacterial properties.
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- The best way to cut kale for salads is to use a technique called chiffonnade (the process of slicing into thin ribbons).
- Place the kale in a bowl and add the lemon juice. Massage for 1 minute, and set aside.
- Mince garlic cloves.
- Add drained chickpeas to a mixing bowl, add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, minced garlic, cumin, and turmeric. Mix all the ingredients.
- Whisk together 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper.
- Add chickpeas and dressing to the bowl with the kale and mix.